Moses Griffin Baldwin
- Born: 9 Aug 1806, Newark NJ
- Marriage (1): Elizabeth Bolles on 12 Apr 1832
- Died: 18 Jun 1885, New York City NY
Events in his life were:
- He worked circa 1834 as a jeweler in New York City NY with a shop at 150 Reade Street.
- He was a partner circa 1840 with John C. Downing in New York City NY as BALDWIN & DOWNING, with a shop at 145 Reade Street.
- He appeared on the 1850 census taken at New York City NY, listed without occupation.
- He was a partner circa 1850-1876 with Augustus Wilder Sexton in New York City NY as BALDWIN & SEXTON, then BALDWIN, SEXTON & Co, with a shop at 145 Reade.
- He appeared on the 1870 census taken at New York City NY, listed as a jeweler.
- He was a partner in 1876-1884 with Augustus Wilder Sexton and Richard N Peterson in New York City NY as BALDWIN, SEXTON, PETERSON & Co.
- He appeared on the 1880 census taken at New York City NY, listed as a manufacturing jeweler.
- Obituary printed in the The Jewelers' Circular and Horological Review (New York City NY) in Jul 1885
It was with sentiments of profound regret that the members of the jewelry trade learned of the death of Moses G. Baldwin, which occurred at his residence in 25th street in this city, on June 18. Mr. Baldwin was, at the time of his death, the oldest living representative of the jewelry business in this city, having been identified with it for many years, and dying at the age of 78 years and 10 months. His name had been identified with various others in the manufacture of jewelry, the first firm being known as Downing & Baldwin, and the last of his business connections being under the firm name of Baldwin, Sexton & Peterson. He was the first President of the Jewelers' Association, holding that position from September, 1874, to September, 1875. He was a man of great energy, enterprise and ability, combining the essential elements required to make the successful manufacturer and merchant. During his entire career he was noted for his sterling integrity and rigid adherence to strict business principles.
Moses married Elizabeth Bolles on 12 Apr 1832. (Elizabeth Bolles was born on 29 May 1808.)