- Born: 14 Jun 1791, Ipswich MA
- Marriage (1): Rebecca Faulkner Hamlin on 6 Sep 1826 in Portland ME
- Died: 20 Dec 1877, Portland ME
Silversmith and jeweler
Events in his life were:
- Alternate Mark the flanking eagles were produced using the punch drive used to make the incised eagle punch on the mark above
- He worked in 1812-1814 as a silversmith in Portland ME
- Advertised in the Portland Gazette and Eastern Argus (Portland ME), 1813, from shop at 4 Union Row, one door west of Nathaniel Cross, noting the manufacture and sales of "jewelry and silverware of all kinds." 3
- He was a partner in 1814-1818 with Eleazer Wyer in Portland ME as WYER & FARLEY. When this partnership was dissolved, the business was continued by Wyer. 4
- He worked in 1818-1830 as a silversmith in Portland ME
After some shrewd investments in the Cuban sugar trade paid off heavily, he left his trade to work as a trader. Reversals forced him back to ground and after failing as a farmer, he settled in Harrison ME, where he build a very successful wire manufacturing factory. By 1855, his various business ventures failed and he returned to Portland, opening a small jewelry establishment. 4
- Master to Epaphras Kibby Dodge c 1827 in Portland ME.
Dodge was considered a good workman, but was caught stealing money, which he confessed having done a number of times. In 1835 he legally changed his name to Thomas Kibby Dodge.
- Master to Cyrus Hamlin 1827 in Portland ME.
Hamlin did not take to the trade and left after a few years to take up ministry.
- He appeared on the 1850 census taken at Harrison ME, listed as a wire manufacturer.
- He worked after 1855 as a jeweler in Portland ME
- He appeared on the 1860 census taken at Portland ME, listed as a broker.
- He appeared on the 1870 census taken at Portland ME, listed as a retired jeweler.
Charles married Rebecca Faulkner Hamlin, daughter of Major Hannibal Hamlin and Susannah Faulkner, on 6 Sep 1826 in Portland ME. (Rebecca Faulkner Hamlin was born on 25 Feb 1805 in Waterford ME and died on 6 Nov 1878 in Waterford ME.)